Sustainable America has already resolved to take action to make the American food and fuel systems more resilient and sustainable. In 2013, we will launch several initiatives to help raise public awareness around issues of food waste, enhanced food production, alternative fuels for vehicles, and fuel efficiency. We will also start investing in early-stage companies that are developing innovative ways of advancing those same goals. We have planted some seeds for growth, and are excited to have our initiatives take root next year.
We also believe deeply in the power of the American people to create great change through individual action. As individuals dedicated to this cause we are already conscientious about our eating and transportation habits, but there is always room for improvement! These are the resolutions we have made as individuals to make America more resilient and sustainable in 2013.
- I resolve to plant a garden this spring.
- I resolve to eat less meat because that makes our food supplies go farther.
- I resolve to try hypermiling.
I resolve to:
- Compost more of my food waste
- Look at packaging labels to minimize “food miles” for my fruit
- Reinstate the “clean plate club” policy with my children
- Walk rather than drive for trips under a mile
- Use public transportation more frequently
- Turn off the engine if I am at the drive-through to save fuel
- I resolve to take the train more often
- I resolve to join a CSA
- I resolve to serve smaller portions to my kids at dinnertime to cut down on food waste, and take leftovers to work with me for lunch.
- I resolve to follow my kids’ lead by composting.
- I resolve to waste less food by planning out my shopping/cooking list in more detail, and to ride my bicycle to the market more often.
- I resolve to start recycling my kitchen scraps
- I resolve to use my bike for more errands.
- I resolve to cut back on out of season produce like strawberries and avocados in the winter.
- I resolve to plant a garden
- I resolve to carpool whenever possible!
- I resolve to buy a bike and use it for errands in my neighborhood.
- I resolve to eat less meat.
- I resolve to grow more food and waste less of it.